The Taiwanese 台灣人 Tâi-Oân Lâng

Welcome to the Taiwanese Site! This is a collection of the stories of the past Taiwanese who had contributed to Taiwan in various aspects. We encourage readers' comments. Contact point, email contact at stephenchiehchen@yahoo.com or tantiongkiat@gmail.com. ** Last Update April 26, 2012 **

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Dr. Franklin Lee 李豐明 博士


-- Dr. Franklin Lee with his friendly smile

A Life that Shined...

Recently I lost a dear friend of mine, Franklin Lee (1934-2005). I attended his memorial service in the Bay area, gave a short message, and was deeply moved by his family members and friends.

That was how it got me started this website!

Like many others, I missed Franklin Lee. At the same time there are many other Taiwanese, known or unknown, who had made Taiwan, that beautiful island, possible for us today. At least we owed them (and ourselves) this site...

Frank (豐明兄 - as most people called him) was a scientist, an educator, a thinker in many fields, a Christian and a Taiwanese. He spent most of his life in the States, from coast to coast, studying, working, playing and raising kids (two wonderful girls and one elegant boy - all of them already have their own family.)
Always came up with ideas, Frank never ceased to open up new doors for the Taiwanese overseas. He actively promoted the Taiwanese language and culture. He enjoyed tennis, fishing, music, and most of all, friends. His life shined through various congregations, fellowships, Taiwanese Americans associations. Upon his retirement, he went back to Taiwan and taught at the Cultural University Engineering School, served as Dean, and worked closely with fellow professors and researchers. Frank never ceased to dream for the better no matter how remotely.
About a month before his departure, we shared an interesting phone conversation. We talked about the politics, Taiwan, the world, Christianity, and the intelligent design vs. evolution. At one time he said, "I am borrowing time from God now, you know..." My reply was, "Yes, we all are. The question is how we are going to return His favor."
Frank did by shining his life through so many groups and individuals. We, I hope, are working on it still.

Dr. Franklin Lee's memorial site:

http://www.mem.com/display/biography.asp?ID=1008731

1 Comments:

Blogger Lam Sin Peng Iu said...

Just this past week, I read the “Perspective” section of our local Sunday newspaper. It is the section of the paper with the editorials. Only a few months ago in the summer I recall one Sunday when I couldn’t find that section of the paper. My father happened to be nearby, as both he and my mother were staying at our house, and he said that he had taken it to his room, and that was his favorite section of the paper too. (He sometimes commented on how the less enlightened members of our family would reach for the Sunday ads first.) So now, less than two months after he passed sway, I reach for this section of the paper, remembering my special link with my father. The article that I read about was Google, and how this seemingly innocuous but ubiquitous search engine empire tracks our every move on the internet, gaining information for businesses and even government agencies. At the very end of the article, my eyes caught the word “Taiwanese,”—a very unexpected word to find in this article. The article mentioned how recently China had caught a spy for Taiwan through his e-mails out of China to Taiwan. Despite the difficult ethics of the situation, Yahoo had felt compelled to comply with the Chinese government in whose country it was doing business. This morning other news of Taiwan surfaced, that of President Bush’s praise for Taiwan as a model of freedom in Asia.
Normally I might have cut out or saved these articles for my father, if he were in Taiwan, or used them for conversation with him, as he seemed to always be interested in anything about Taiwan. Like many Taiwanese I hear today, he seemed rather disenchanted about the state of Taiwan’s politics, but he did not at all use that as a reason to withdraw his interest in, or passions for Taiwan. He was able to see in his lifetime here big changes in Taiwan. I know he hoped for more still.
I hope that where he is now, he can see and understand the real state of things—and I am sure he will always have more than a few interesting comments.

--Margaret Lee

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home